714 McClung Tower
Phone: (865) 974-6375
20th-century and contemporary French literature and theatre
Theories of drama and performance related to post-1950 French theater, esp. the semiotics and phenomenology of theatrical space; representations of "America" in post-1950 French/Francophone theatre; foreign language performance pedagogy; and contemporary critical theory and cultural studies
- Ph.D., Brown University, 1991
- Empty Figure on an Empty Stage : The Theater of Samuel Beckett and his Generation (Indiana UP, 2001).
- The French Play: Exploring Theatre Re-creatively' with Foreign Language Students (U of Calgary Press, 2006).
- American 'Unculture' in French Drama: Homo Americanus and the Post-1960 French Resistance (Palgrave Macmillan Press, 2013)
- "Norodom Sihanouk: The 'Unfinished' Story of American Global Totalitarianism by Hélène Cixous and the Théâtre du Soleil." Forthcoming in Text and Presentation, Spring 2015.
- "Reimaginations of 'America' and Cultural Identity in the Expatriate Drama of Koffi Kwahulé." Comparative Drama 47: 3 (Fall 2013). 343-66.
- Review essay (3000 words) of French Theatre Today: The View from New York, Paris, and Avignon. By Edward Baron Turk. Iowa City: U of Iowa P, 2011. H-France Review 13: 75 (June 2013). 1-5.
- "Faking/Staking a Village: Hyper-(real?) American Characters in the Supra-Global Spaces of French Drama and Danish Film." Globalization and its Apparitions/ La Globalización y sus Espejismos. Ed. Michael Handelsman and Olaf Berwald, Quito, Ecuador: Editorial El Conejo, 2009. 71-104
- "The Totalitarian Non-Tragedy of American Business in the French Plays of Michel Vinaver." Text and Presentation 2009, Spring 2010. 61-81.
- "Preface: Doing and Experiencing Theatre in the Culture of the Decidedly Free." Dramatic Interactions: Teaching Languages, Literatures, and Cultures through Theater: Theoretical Approaches and Classroom Practices. Ed. Colleen Ryan-Scheutz and Nicoletta Marini-Maio. London: Cambridge Scholars Publishers, 2011. ix-xxi (preface).
- "Rehearsing the Uncertainty of Theatrical Art and/in Foreign Language and Culture." Dramatic Interactions: Teaching Languages, Literatures, and Cultures through Theater: Theoretical Approaches and Classroom Practices. Ed. Colleen Ryan-Scheutz and Nicoletta Marini-Maio. London: Cambridge Scholars Publishers, 2011. 14-34.
- "American Students Performing the Foreignness of Human Culture in Foreign Drama." Comparative Drama 46.3 (Fall 2012). 319-38.