Professor and Associate Department Head
610A McClung Tower
Phone: (865) 974-6097
18th-century French literature and culture
The Enlightenment, the French Revolution, the history of medicine, and gender theory
- Ph.D., Columbia University, 1994
- Academic editor, “Marie-Jeanne Roland,” Literature Criticism from 1400 to 1800, Gale Research Company (Detroit, MI), forthcoming, 2016
- Female Sexuality and Cultural Degradation in Enlightenment France: Medicine and Literature (Farnham, Surrey, UK and Burlington, VT: Ashgate Press, June 2012), 195 pp.
- Gender, Authenticity, and the Missive Letter in Eighteenth-Century France: Marie-Anne de La Tour and Jean-Jacques Rousseau (Lewisburg, PA: Bucknell University Press, 2006), 250 pp.
- “Rape in Paradise: Naturalizing Sexual Violence in Diderot’s Tahitian Reverie,” Eighteenth-Century Studies, forthcoming 2017
- “The Rape of Roxane and the End of the World in the Lettres persanes,” Romanic Review, forthcoming 2017
- Review essay on Sabine Arnaud, On Hysteria: The Invention of a Medical Category between 1670 and 1820 (Chicago, 2015), H-France Forum, [http://h-france.net/forum/forumlist.html], forthcoming Winter 2016
- “Health and the Eighteenth-Century French Woman: A History of Decline,” in Women, Gender and Disease in Eighteenth-Century England and France (Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2014): 45-65.
- “‘Accablé de tant de vêtements’: Climat et désir dans les Lettres persanes.” Les Lettres persanes en leur temps. Ed. Philip Stewart. Paris: Classiques Garnier, 2013. 69-93.
- "The Virtues of Childhood Sexual Abuse and Marital Infidelity in Marie-Jeanne Roland's Private Memoirs (1795)," Journal of the History of Sexuality 21.1 (January 2012): 16-38
- "Innocence of Experience: Rousseau on Puberty in the State of Civilization," Journal of the History of Ideas 71.2 (April 2010): 241-261
- "The Rape of Cécile and the Triumph of Love in the Liaisons dangereuses," Eighteenth-Century Studies 43.1 (2009): 1-19
- "Gender and Sex in the Enlightenment," Encyclopedia of Sex and Gender, vol. 2, Ed. Fedwa Malti-Douglas (Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2007), 463-4
- "Julie's Breasts, Julie's Scars: Physiology and Character in La Nouvelle Héloïse," Studies in Eighteenth-Century Culture 36 (March 2007): 1-20
- "Utopia in the Seraglio: Feminist Hermeneutics and Montesquieu's Lettres persanes," Gender and Utopia in the Eighteenth Century, Eds. Nicole Pohl and Brenda Tooley (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate Press, 2007): 87-106
- "Goethe's Number-One Fan: A Neo-Feminist Reading of Bettina Brentano-von Arnim, with Balzac and Kundera," Comparative Literature: Journal of the American Comparative Literature Association 57.4 (Fall 2005): 294-311
- "Religion in Diderot's La Religieuse," XVIII New Perspectives on the Eighteenth Century 2.1 (Spring 2005): 3-15
- "Julien Offroy de La Mettrie," Dictionary of Literary Biography, "The French Enlightenment, I," Ed. Samia I. Spencer (Detroit: Bruccoli Clark Layman, 2005): 293-297
- "Marie-Charlotte-Pauline Robert de Lézardière," Dictionary of Literary Biography, "The French Enlightenment, I," Ed. Samia I. Spencer (Detroit: Bruccoli Clark Layman, 2005): 317-321
- "Louis Sébastien Mercier," Dictionary of Literary Biography, "The French Enlightenment, II," Ed. Samia I. Spencer (Detroit: Bruccoli Clark Layman, 2005): 317-321
- "Historical Autobiography: The Mémoires de Mme Roland," Romance Quarterly 47.1 (Winter 2000): 3-17
- "Between Men for All Eternity: Feminocentrism in the Lettres persanes," Eighteenth-Century Life 24.1 (Winter 2000): 45-61
- "Poststructuralist Feminism and the Imaginary Woman Writer: The Lettres portugaises," Romanic Review 90.1 (January 2000): 27-44
- "Adélaïde-Gillette Billet Dufrénoy," Feminist Encyclopedia of French Literature, Ed. Eva Martin Sartori (Connecticut: Greenwood Press, 1999): 165
- "Anne Pauline Léon," Feminist Encyclopedia of French Literature, Ed. Eva Martin Sartori (Connecticut: Greenwood Press, 1999): 315-6<
- "Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson de Pompadour," Feminist Encyclopedia of French Literature, Ed. Eva Martin Sartori (Connecticut: Greenwood Press, 1999): 423-4<
- "Alexandre Dumas (père)," Encyclopedia of the Novel, Ed. Paul E. Schellinger (Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 1998): 208-9
- "Julie Responds to St. Preux: Marie-Anne de La Tour's Letters to Rousseau," Women in French Studies 5 (1997): 135-148